By Air: Oxnard is located about 75 minutes north west of Los Angeles Airport (LAX), 50 minutes west from Burbank Airport (BUR), and 60 minutes south of Santa Barbara Airport (SBA). Or fly directly into Oxnard with MVP Airways and pick up a rental car. (www.iflyoxnard.com).
By Car: Driving from L.A. to Oxnard, you can travel north along Highway 1 (along the coast) or take Highway 101. To drive north along the coast, take the Santa Monica Freeway (I10) west to Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) then take PCH north. The drive takes about an hour (depending on traffic). To take freeways all the way from LAX, take the 405 north; exit the 405 onto the 101 north and continue to Oxnard. Travel time is approximately 90 minutes, depending on traffic.
By Train: Save on gas and ride Amtrak to Oxnard. Amtrak Pacific Surfliner makes several stops daily at the Oxnard Transportation Center (201 E. Fourth Street) in Downtown Oxnard. this station is the only one in Ventura County with on-duty personnel 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Call 1-800-USA Rail or visit www.Amtrak.com
By Bus: Greyhound Bus Lines (800.231.2222, www.greyhound.com) provides service to Oxnard from points across the United States. The bus stops at the Oxnard Transportation Center in downtown Oxnard at the corner of 4th and Oxnard Boulevard (201 East 4th Street).
The following shuttles provide land transportation to and from LAX:
- Amadeus Limousine, 805.486.1873, www.amadeuslst.com
- Roadrunner Shuttle, 805.389.8196, 800.247.7919, www.rrshuttle.com
- Ventura County Airporter, 805.650.6600, www.venturashuttle.com
- Ventura Transit System (805) 659-6900 or (805) 777-1771 www.venturatransit.com
Getting Around Oxnard
Bus: The heart of the city's public transportation system is the Oxnard Transportation Center (201 E. Fourth Street), a convenient hub for Greyhound, Amtrak, the urban commuter rail Metrolink, and regional bus service. Gold Coast Transit (805.487.4222, 805.643.3158, www.goldcoasttransit.org) operates 21 local bus routes throughout western Ventura County. You will find schedules and route maps on the website, or you can pick up a schedule at any Ventura County library and many area businesses. Ventura Intercity Service Transit Authority-VISTA (800.438.1112)-provides service to cities along Highway 101. For more Ventura County transportation information, visit www.goventura.org.
- AD Taxi, 805.604.9074
- Super Cab, 888.487.4600
- Yellow Cab, 805.659.6900
- Amadeus Taxi, 805.486.1873, www.amadeusLST.com
- Avis, 435 W. Channel Islands Boulevard, 805.483.9265
- Budget Car & Truck Rental, Oxnard Airport, 805.382.8351
- Dollar Rent-a-Car (off-airport; airport pickup), 805.984.7870
- Enterprise Car Rental (three locations), 800.261.7331
- Hertz Rent-a-Car, Oxnard Airport, 805.985.0911
Bicycle: Many of Oxnard's hotels rent bikes. For maps of bike routes throughout the county, visit www.goventura.org.
- Wheel Fun Rentals, Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, 805.984.1994.
- Ventura Bike Depot, 805.652.1114
Dial-a-Ride: For door-to-door service, City of Oxnard Dial-a-Ride (805.207.0699 reservations) can take you to and from beaches, Channel Islands Harbor, Oxnard Airport, and downtown.